Gynecologic Pathology (Pap Smears)
- PML provides a full spectrum of cytopathology services, including routine screening and diagnostic testing of gynecologic specimens.
- Our laboratory processes more than 50,000 Pap tests annually; the majority are performed by a liquid-based method (ThinPrep®). PML also implemented the ThinPrep® Imaging System, an automated image analysis system that aids cytotechnologists with primary screening. The computer imaging, in multiple large studies, increases the detection rate of high-grade premalignant lesions compared to manual screening alone. All Pap tests are rescreened by experienced, licensed cytotechnologists.
- The majority of routine gynecologic cytology results are available within two working days of specimen receipt in the laboratory. Additional HPV/infectious disease tesing will increase the turnaround time to four days.
- PML employs a rigorous quality assurance program with 100% rescreening of all Pap tests on patients with abnormal histories in addition to the 10% random rescreening. Correlation with surgical specimens is performed quarterly. Correlation data for ASCUS/HPV findings with surgical biopsies are also tracked regularly.
- All abnormal Pap tests are reviewed by board-certified cytopathologists. HPV (high risk), chlamydia and gonorrhea assays are also part of our in-house testing menu. HSV testing is performed at an approved reference laboratory. Cystic fibrosis testing is also available upon request.
- Our outstanding cytopathology services include:
- Liquid based pap smears
- Conventional pap smears
- Immunohistochemistry services
- PML cytopathologists interpret more that 5,000 non-gynecologic specimens annually. The cytopathology laboratory provides a full spectrum of non-gynecologic cytology services, including the processing and evaluation of the following specimen types:
- Pulmonary: fine needle aspiration, sputum, bronchial brushing/washing and bronchial lavage (including evaluation for opportunistic infections and cell differentials).
- Urologic: voided/instrumented urine and washings/brushings of urinary tract/bladder/uretha.
- Body Cavity Fluids: plueral, pericardial, peritoneal and synovial fluids; pelvic washings.
- Cerebrospinal Fluid.
- Gastrointestinal: brushings/washings of alimentary canal and biliary tract.
- Fine needle aspirations of palpable and US-guided lesions (breast, thyroid, lymph nodes, etc.). Flow cytometry on suspicious lymphoid processes is performed at an approved reference laboratory.
- Other Sources: breast nipple secretions and ductal lavage, skin scrapings (including Tzanck smears for detection of herpetic infection), ophthalmologic specimens and anorectal cytology.
- The turnaround time for non-gynecologic specimens is generally one working day after laboratory receipt of the specimen, unless special studies or consultation is required for final interpretation.
- We will provide consulting services for any gynecologic or non-gynecologic cytology case performed at an outside laboratory.